September 6, 2010

The maggot and the Shell (poeTry)

by amica paige



Did you hear about the maggot?
Apparently, it was really a caterpillar
Which later turned into a butterfly.

No wonder my back felt so heavy…
They were invisible wings really...

I used to be a turtle, so slow
I hid in a shell, you know
I knew I’d get there in time
I knew I’d fall right in line
In a turtle soup, pure
At a lodger’s inn, sure
I knew I’d get there, somehow
I knew I’d get there ‘til now.

But the wind changes course, you know
A mustard seed fell, of course
On good ground, so well
It grew like a tree, you see
One day I woke up I’m free
My eyes started to see so clearly
The weight was lifted off my back
So long as I don’t look back.

So then I looked up and crawled
Where the mustard seed fell, of course
On good ground, so well
And grew like a tree, you see
Where the maggot discovered her
Wings that sprouted where the shell
Had been lifted off her back
Her Spirit will never lack.

No comments: